We share ways you can give back to Sandwell
Giving back to Sandwell: why you should, why it’s good!
We know you have a company to run and employees to look after – and those things rightly take priority. But as Sandwell Business Ambassadors, we encourage Sandwell businesses to consider corporate giving. This can be with money, of course – such as donations or sponsorship. But it may be even more worthwhile to give ‘in kind’. For example, by offering your time and/or skills to help a cause.
Sandwell is home to more than 1,000 community organisations [source: Sandwell Council of Voluntary Organisations]. Across the borough are charities, voluntary groups, friends of parks, support organisations, sports clubs, societies, faith groups, youth clubs, music groups and more. The people who power these are usually giving their time for free.
Offering time, expertise or skills from your Sandwell business could be transformative for one of those groups. It may well benefit you and your team too, because:
- You get to support causes you care about. And you can show the world that you’re committed to those causes. There are often work-winning benefits to this.
- You can interact with your colleagues in a different setting from normal. That can be excellent for team building, skills development and confidence.
- Volunteering is considered good for people’s mental wellbeing. The Value of Giving Report 2022 found that volunteers are significantly more likely to say they feel optimistic about the future than adults who do not volunteer.
Giving back to Sandwell: how
Let’s Go Sandwell is a great place to start. Hosted by SCVO, this website allows community groups and charities to post details of things they need help with. Then local businesses can respond by offering help. Whether you can dedicate half a day to gardening, offer ongoing digital support, or pledge a few hours each month to staff a helpline, there are volunteering opportunities to suit the ethos and available resources of every type of business.
Giving back to Sandwell: more opportunities
On our news page, we share ideas for giving back to Sandwell. Here are the current ones:
- Litter Watch in Tipton is asking local businesses to pledge to pick up one bag of litter for the Sandwell Coronation Clean
- Sponsor a VW camper van with Sponsored Breaks – and help to give deserving local people a much-needed break.